Only six decades ago waste was routinely deposited on nearby sand dunes, burned and the ash buried on site. City leaders at the time got together and petitioned the County Board of Supervisor to find a solution. In response, the District was created in 1951. (Initially called the Monterey Peninsula Garbage and Refuse Disposal District). The mission was to manage the Peninsula’s waste by establishing a sanitary landfill to replace the old “dumps” then in operation.
Since, numerous new technologies, systems and strategies have been put in place to maximize efficiency and effective disposal and resource recovery for our local jurisdictions. Today, MRWMD is recognized as one of the “Best Solid Waste Systems in North America”.